This area is devoted to the study of the patterns and causes of evolutionary change and extinction by combining fossil evidence with the biology of extant organisms. Emphasis is put on the evolution of life-histories under changing ecological conditions from the viewpoint of adaptation, based on the paleohistological study of hard tissues within the analytical framework provided by life history theory of biological evolution (ecology, demography, physiology and adaptation).
The area also encompasses computational approaches that aim to digitally obtain paleobiological and evolutionary data of extinct organisms based on a wide range of techniques from imaging to functional approaches.
Evolutionary Paleobiology Research Area:
Prof. Meike Köhler (Research Area Head & ICREA Research Professor)
Life History Evolution Research Group:
- Prof. Meike Köhler (Senior Research Group Leader & ICREA Research Professor, R4).
- Dr. Josep Quintana Cardona (Researcher, R3).
- Dr. Carmen Nacarino (Postdoctoral Researcher, R2).
- Manuel Fernández (Lab Technician).
Computational Paleobiology Research Group:
- Dr. Josep Fortuny (Junior Research Group Leader, R3).
- Jordi Pérez Cano (‘Margarita Salas’ Postdoctoral Researcher, R2).
- Chabier de Jaime-Soguero (FI Predoctoral Researcher, R1).
- Dr. Alejandro Serrano-Martínez (3D Technician).
- Laia Garcia-Escolà ('Investigo' Lab Technician).
- Dr. Jordi Marcé-Nogué (Research Associate, R3).
- Dr. Eudald Mujal (Research Associate, R3).
- Dr. Borja Holgado (Research Associate, R2).
- Dr. Soledad De Esteban-Trivigno (Collaborator, R2).
- Dr. David P. Groenewald (Collaborator, R2).
- Joan Cartanyà (Collaborator, R1).
- Sergio Llácer (Collaborator, R1).